Reynard Devlog #19 – Santa Boss, Zombies and More (0.9.0)
Ho-ho-ho! Christmas is around the corner and Santa has come to visit Foen!
Since it’s December and Christmas is around the corner I wanted to add some Christmas spirit to
Luckily, last week Elthen came to the stream and said “hi” (He’s a fellow dude that draws some of the pixel art that we’re using in Reynard). I knew that I had an opportunity to influence his next drawing project and I kind of cheered for a fighting Santa. A week later Kung-fu Santa was made. So Elthen, thank you!
He became another boss influenced by the powerful Wizco’s magic! But you can bring him back to his senses if you free him from the spell (beat him). Players who can defeat him will be rewarded with Santa’s costume!
Santa is a first “seasonal boss” who can be fought from “12/12/Every Year” to “1/2/Every Year”. There will probably be more seasonal bosses in the future.
Even though there are many enemies in Reynard, a zombie was a must! It fits into the dungeon environment perfectly!
Not only that; he’s good looking, he’s baddass… In a way. If you have any companions and the zombie kills them, they’ll turn into zombies!
He’s immune to necro and poison damage and is from now on a regular companion of Doctor Plague.
- [BOSS] Added a Santa Clause boss battle. Free him and unlock yourself a Santa’s costume. You can start the battle by interacting with the portal next to the fox hole. You’ll be able to fight Santa from 12/12/Every Year to 1/2/Every Year.
- [ENEMY] Added a Zombie. Immune to poison and necro damage. When it kills its victim it restores 0.25 hp to itself and spawns a new zombie in its victim’s place.
- [BALANCING] Doctor Plague now spawns Zombies and Skeletons. His movement speed was increased by 50%. He now has some companions from the beginning.
- [MINOR] Removed a single pixel mistake on Reynard’s Santa costume 🙂
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug where golems dropped golem’s fist instead of golem’s hand. (one is usable, the other is the actual weapon of the golem).
- [BUGFIX] Wilson’s laser beam can now damage allies and companions.
- [BUGFIX] Doctor Plague can now damage allies and companions.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed the bug when the stairs to secret room are spawned behind the indestructible objects.
- [BUGFIX] Companion skeletons wouldn’t get transported to other levels.
In the upcoming week I’ll focus on boss battles, new enemies and new rooms! If you’d like to recommend anything, please let me know!
Till next time! Happy Santa saving 😀
Reynard Devlog #13 – Wilson (0.8.4)
New boss Wilson has arrived to Reynard’s dungeons!
Previous week we’ve released an “easier” boss Doctor Plague and now I’m presenting you Wilson! He’s a weird entity (big eyeball) accompanied by small “Willies” (little eyeballs).
Wilson deals chaotic damage and has a powerful energy beam attack! So you better be careful when you’re poking him in the eye!
Doctor Plague Buff
As mentioned previous week, I knew that I’ll have to buff the doctor… and so I did! He’s now roaming around cemetery raising skeletons!
I’ve added some decorations to the Dexter’s level and changed the whole progression through the dungeons. If you’ll want to save Prascilla you’ll have to go through:
- Basement dungeon
- Basement dungeon
- Basement invasion
- Desert dungeon
- Desert dungeon
- Desert invasion
- Winter dungeon
- Winter dungeon
- Winter Invasion
- Final Boss
I think that the progression is more interesting this way… You have to face one more boss in the end, but you’ll progress through the dungeons faster! Other thing that I’ve changed is that special rooms like: Forge, Library, Shrine… are now populated also with different pots, traps and so on!
Update is alive and kicking on itch.io!
Till next time! Have fun POKING WILSON’S EYE!!! 😀
Reynard Devlog #11 – Pawn shrine, Buffed enemies, Potion Hotkeys… (0.8.2)
Another week, another Reynard update! Last week we released the “Merchants” update and this week we’re introducing you to the pawn shrine, buffed enemies and potion hotkeys!
On your quest through dungeons, you will hoard a lot of items. Some of them will be useful, others not so much and because of Reynard’s limited item carrying capabilities you’ll want to drop the “not so good” items to free up some space in your inventory. It would be a shame if those items would just be left on the dungeon floor. Here lies the reason we’ve created the pawn shrine!
The Pawn shrine is a shrine similar to the Forge shrine. You step on the Pawn shrine and drop the item on it. Mysterious powers will grant you some gold in return for your item.
To spice things up in the dungeons, we’ve decided to add buffs to enemies! For now enemies can be buffed in 4 stats!
- Max health buff.
- Health regen buff.
- Damage buff.
- Movement speed buff.
Damage buff on green slime.
Health regen buff on red slime.
Max health buff on rat.
Movement speed buff on a bat.
- “1” or “Dpad-UP” – Use health potion.
- “2” or “Dpad-RIGHT” – Use stamina potion.
- “3” or “Dpad-LEFT” – Use energy potion.
- Modified leprechaun perk, you now earn 20% less score.
- Modified blind monk perk, you deal 20% more damage.
- Silver key shrine now takes only gold.
- Thin blade now deals slashing damage instead of blunt.
- 200 additional experience gained if the whole dungeon with secret room included is cleared.
PS: 3 days till giveaway ends! We’re giving away 3 keys for Reynard! You can enter the giveaway here. Till the next time! Have fun exploring the dungeons 😀
Reynard Devlog #10 – Merchants Update (0.8.1)
It’s been a while since I’ve posted a devlog in this form… Reynard has hit an early access stage and it’s available on itch.io and this is first content update which brings Merchants to the game!
Until now, if you discovered hidden stairs, you could only reach library which offered different relics in exchange for different payment types. For an example: You could get relic which boosts your health regeneration in an exchange for consumables or score reset… The Merchants update brings 4 merchants which offer various goods! These merchants are:
- Izak (Weapons)
- Pepe (Armors)
- Abdul (Runes)
- Bubba (Potions)
Merchants unlike statues, libraries and other “mini shops” take only gold! So gold is getting another use case in the game and it’s not used only for building turrets anymore. Each of the merchants offer more items and set the price semi-randomly based on its quality.
- If the description of the item is long, the description window slowly starts scrolling down so you can read more.
- Fixed the “Throwing Acid Spear”.
- Added experience bar at the “End of run” screen instead of using only numbers.
- Fixed multiple typos in item descriptions
- Removed “+” signs in item descriptions. Now only “-” is displayed.
- Bats now collide with buildings and can hurt them.
We have also decided to create a giveaway! We’re giving away 3 keys for Reynard! You can enter the giveaway here.
PS: Sharing is caring 😀