Reynard Devlog #19 – Santa Boss, Zombies and More (0.9.0)
Ho-ho-ho! Christmas is around the corner and Santa has come to visit Foen!
Since it’s December and Christmas is around the corner I wanted to add some Christmas spirit to
Luckily, last week Elthen came to the stream and said “hi” (He’s a fellow dude that draws some of the pixel art that we’re using in Reynard). I knew that I had an opportunity to influence his next drawing project and I kind of cheered for a fighting Santa. A week later Kung-fu Santa was made. So Elthen, thank you!
He became another boss influenced by the powerful Wizco’s magic! But you can bring him back to his senses if you free him from the spell (beat him). Players who can defeat him will be rewarded with Santa’s costume!
Santa is a first “seasonal boss” who can be fought from “12/12/Every Year” to “1/2/Every Year”. There will probably be more seasonal bosses in the future.
Even though there are many enemies in Reynard, a zombie was a must! It fits into the dungeon environment perfectly!
Not only that; he’s good looking, he’s baddass… In a way. If you have any companions and the zombie kills them, they’ll turn into zombies!
He’s immune to necro and poison damage and is from now on a regular companion of Doctor Plague.
- [BOSS] Added a Santa Clause boss battle. Free him and unlock yourself a Santa’s costume. You can start the battle by interacting with the portal next to the fox hole. You’ll be able to fight Santa from 12/12/Every Year to 1/2/Every Year.
- [ENEMY] Added a Zombie. Immune to poison and necro damage. When it kills its victim it restores 0.25 hp to itself and spawns a new zombie in its victim’s place.
- [BALANCING] Doctor Plague now spawns Zombies and Skeletons. His movement speed was increased by 50%. He now has some companions from the beginning.
- [MINOR] Removed a single pixel mistake on Reynard’s Santa costume 🙂
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug where golems dropped golem’s fist instead of golem’s hand. (one is usable, the other is the actual weapon of the golem).
- [BUGFIX] Wilson’s laser beam can now damage allies and companions.
- [BUGFIX] Doctor Plague can now damage allies and companions.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed the bug when the stairs to secret room are spawned behind the indestructible objects.
- [BUGFIX] Companion skeletons wouldn’t get transported to other levels.
In the upcoming week I’ll focus on boss battles, new enemies and new rooms! If you’d like to recommend anything, please let me know!
Till next time! Happy Santa saving 😀
Reynard Devlog #17 – Ferdinand, Improved Armor Runes, Bugfixes and More (0.8.8)
This is our first update since releasing Reynard on Steam. We call him Ferdinand. He’s the meanest of them… for now.
Ferdinand (the Minotaur) fills the void of not having a boss with a big area of effect (AOE) attack. Just by looking at Ferdinand, players will know that he’s a “tanky” and an agile boss. He has a few tricks up his sleeve so players will have to be careful when taking him head on.
With Ferdinand I’ve tried to include more environment in the boss battles. So without any major spoilers… When you’re gonna be fighting him, try using environment in your advantage.
Improved Armor Runes
Until now armor runes were providing only bare defense against different damage types. With this update, I’m introducing improved armor runes, which can reflect damage, slow enemies, burn them or even boost Reynard’s movements speed when he’s attacked.
From watching gamers play Reynard on Youtube, I’ve learned that the armors are introduced a little too late in the game. Here lies the reason why I’ve decided to add “Pepe – The Armor Merchant” to the basement’s secret room’s rotation.
- [BOSS] New boss Ferdinand joined Reynard!
- [RECIPE] Crafted Wooden Bow – Wooden Stick + Ordinary Rope.
- [RECIPE] Bull’s Horns Helmet – Copper Plank + Poor Normal Armor Rune.
- [RECIPE] Book of the Dead – Common Companion Boost + Common Max Health Boost.
- [RECIPE] Necro Bow – Bone + Ordinary rope.
- [IMPORTANT] Added ability to armor runes. They can now reflect the damage, slow the attacker or increase Reynard’s movement speed…
- [IMPORTANT] Companions will now stay with you until they die or the run ends.
- [IMPORTANT] Added a “second” secret to the Foen island.
- [BALANCING] Necro Staff’s recipe changed to “Bone + Poor Necrotic Damage Rune” + Increased the crit chance to 1%.
- [BALANCING] Pepe can now spawn in the basement dungeon.
- [BALANCING] Cobra’s poison projectile doesn’t have spreadable damage anymore.
- [BALANCING] Golem’s health type set from “Ice” to “Normal”.
- [BALANCING] Modified the Bubba’s prices.
- [MINOR] Added dialogue to the axe on the island (It sounds weird but it’s not :D).
- [MINOR] Stamina now refils on each scene change.
- [MINOR] Added Prascilla’s Idle animation.
- [MINOR] Renamed some Bronze stuff to Copper.
- [BUGFIX] “Return” button now works as a confirm.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed the bug when Wilson’s Beam wouldn’t stop playing when you die.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed the double confirm button press in the dialogue.
I’ll add the first player who figures out how to pull the axe out from the stump to the book of credits! 😀
Since many new players have joined Reynard community and there is no official tutorial, I hope to have started one for next update. Expect more cool recipes, bosses and updates in the future. If you’d like to recommend something, please let me know!
Till next time! Happy dungeon crawling 😀